About the Institute
The Raphael Recanati Genetic Institute is directed by Prof. Lina Basel Salmon, one of the leading experts in this field. In 2013 she was appointed as Associate Professor in Pediatrics and Genetics at the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University. Prof. Basel's research interests are focused on dysmorphology, genetic forms of intellectual disability and autism, neurogenetic diseases and new human disease-causing gene discovery. Prof. Basel's scientific experience includes the discovery of many new genetic syndromes and identification of genes related to these syndromes. Prof. Basel’s scientific publications include more than 100 articles in peer-reviewed international journals. She is a reviewer in more than 20 international scientific journals.
The Raphael Recanati Genetic Institute is the biggest genetics institute in Israel with state of the art clinics and laboratories. Our multidisciplinary team of physicians, genetic counsellors and laboratory specialists takes care of children and adults at risk or affected by genetic disorders. The services include risk assessment for individuals with a family history of an inherited disorder or a family cancer syndrome, diagnostics of genetic conditions, prenatal or preimplantation testing for many genetic disorders and preventive genetic screening program for couples to test for carrier status of various genetic diseases. The Institute also runs Pediatric Genetics clinics at the neighboring Schneider Children's Medical Center of Israel. Genetic investigations are carried out in the Molecular Genetics Laboratory, the Cytogenetics Laboratory and the Laboratory for Preimplantation Genetic Diagnostics (PGD).
UNITS OF EXPERTISE
- Prenatal Genetics Services: counseling for women who are currently pregnant or for couples planning pregnancy. Headed by Bela Davidov
- Cancer Genetics Clinic: consultation and testing for cancer predisposition syndromes for people who have personal or family history of certain types of cancer. Headed by Dr. Yael Goldberg and Inbal Keidar.
- Adult Genetic Diseases clinic: genetic counseling and diagnosis to adults with genetic disorders including connective tissue diseases, neurogenetic conditions and other conditions. Headed by Dr. Yael Goldberg.
- Nephrogenetics clinic: genetic counseling and molecular diagnostics for patients with inherited kidney diseases including Alport disease. Headed by Dr. Idit Maya.
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) clinic: molecular diagnostics and treatment of patients with FMF. Headed by Dr. Idit Maya.
- Cardiogenetics clinic: genetic counseling for individuals with congenital heart disease, cardiomyopathies, cardiac rhythm abnormalities and vascular disease. Headed by Dr. Noa Rurman-Shahar.
- Gaucher disease clinic: Diagnostic testing, treatment and genetic counseling for patients with Gaucher disease. Headed by Dr. Noa Rurman-Shahar.
- Pediatric Genetics Clinic: diagnostics and treatment of children with broad spectrum of genetic disorders including rare syndromes. Headed by Dr. Naama Orenstein.
- Skeletal dysplasia clinic: diagnostics and treatment of disorders that involve bone formation and growth. Headed by Dr. Lior Cohen.