The unit includes neurology experts, interns, nurses, sanitary workers, social worker, psychologists, nutritionist and physical therapists. The doctors, nurses and para-medical staff are interested in providing the best possible care for the population, and they are also interested in cooperation with the patients’ families and the doctors in the area. The unit is a teaching unit, branched to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and it guides medicine students.
The unit is designated for the hospitalization of patients suffering from neurological problems including:
- Nerve disorders and muscle problems
- Movement disorders, Parkinson’s disease, walking and balance disorders
- Chronic diseases such as multiple sclerosis, sarcopenia
- Degenerative diseases of the brain which includes: memory disruptions, linguistic disruptions and decrease of concentration and daily function such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- Headaches and dizziness for neurological clarification
- Brain infections
The Kaplan Medical Center answers the Ministry of Health criteria regarding providing intravenous Tissue Plasminogen Activator (TPA), provided as an acute treatment in strokes. The treatment is life saving and maintains the patient’s quality of life.
There is great importance in a quick arrival to the emergency room when one or more of the following symptoms exist: face twitch, speech disturbance, vision disturbance, swallowing disturbance, paralysis of a limb (hand or leg), inability to walk or stand. Within the neurologic clarification, the unit is assisted in several factors:
The imaging institute for advanced imaging including a brain image and brain CT with and without contrast agents directed to the large vessles of the brain, brain MRI.
Within the neurological clarifications the unit is assisted in several factors:
- EEG records with and without video
- Psychogeriatric consulting
- Neuro-ophthalmologist consulting for eye medicine
- Pain clinic consulting
- EMG test
The department is accredited by the JCI and meets the international standards to guaranteed the safety of the patients and the quality of the medical assistance (Joint Commission International)
The department takes part in clinical surveys in Israel and abroad. The medical staff is trained an works according to the GCP regulations.