Only students who have completed their 4th year of study (clinical phase) will be accepted for rotations.
Emek Medical Center will only consider medical students studying overseas who are learning in a university where the academic standards and processes are comparable to those used to accredit medical schools in the United States. As graduates (as foreign graduates), they would be prepared for and have the right to pass the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE).
Emek Medical Center is a teaching institution affiliated with the Rappaport Faculty of Medicine of the Technion Institute of Technology. We accept requests from medical students studying overseas to perform clerkships within our hospital. The fee is $40 per 7-day week (or any number of days less than 7). e.g. 10 day clerkship = $40 x 2 = $80. This fee is to be paid in full for the entire requested clerkship period on the day of arrival/registration at the hospital cashier's desk. There will be no refunds or discounts for days not on campus.
Student requests begin with Larry Rich / Director of Development & International Public Relations – via email only: email@example.com
Only students who have completed their 4th year of study (clinical phase) will be accepted for rotations
To begin the elective process, Emek requires:
- A referral letter (sent to Larry) from their University that says:
- Their current student status (what year)
- What Clinical Clerkship (in which medical departments) they wish to study
(surgery, pediatrics, internal medicine, orthopedics, etc, etc)
- The exact dates they wish to study here
- The Emek Head of Department must review (but not sign) the universities syllabus before the student is accepted. There will be no advance commitment to cover all the subjects in any given syllabus.
- Upon completion of the elective, the student is required to leave a copy of the Department Head's authorization of elective completion.
- Proof of vaccinations: (to be verified by the Ministry of Health before the day of registration). Without this no student will be accepted.
Tuberculosis (Mantoux test)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis
- MMR- Mumps, Measles & Rubella
- Chicken Pox
- Hepatitis B - HBV
Personal travel & accident insurance (copy for Human Resources must be provided upon arrival)
The period of clerkship is not an employer/employee relationship.
Larry will check and verify student acceptance with the relevant Department Heads.
Students requiring rooming will be informed as to availability for the requested dates. Each room houses up to 3 people. Room fee: $15 \ 50 NIS per day per student (or the equivalent in shekels) for the entire requested clerkship period. This fee is to be paid in full on the day of arrival/registration at the hospital cashier's desk. There will be no refunds or discounts for days not on campus. The rooming fee includes:
- Electricity / air conditioning
- Kitchen equipment
Hot lunches in our staff dining hall cost 11 Israeli shekels per meal = about $3. They would purchase these coupons here upon their arrival and may pay via credit card for amounts of 30 Israeli shekels or more. Breakfast coffee and bread are usually in the department at no charge and they would make their own arrangements for dinner (we have a public cafeteria in the hospital).
There are designated free Wi-Fi areas throughout the hospital.
Students will be expected to arrive in Emek ONLY on a Monday or Thursday, in the AM and they are to go straight to Human Resources where they will complete the registration process with Eli or Liron.
From there, they will go to:
- The staff medical clinic where their vaccinations will be verified
- The Cashier station where they will purchase their meal tickets, pay for their clerkships and housing
- The Security office where they may arrange and pay 200 NIS for one-month subsidized parking if necessary
- The staff laundry where they will receive their white coats
- The medical library if necessary
- Their room (must call Larry / 050-5737641 / if applicable)
- Their designated medical department
Students are expected to submit a review in writing upon completion of their rotations to Anat in Human Resources.