About the Department
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology is directed by Dr. Steven Velkes, who is also head of the Joint Surgery Unit. Dr Velkes immigrated to Israel from South Africa in 1979, where he studied medicine and completed his Orthopedic specialization in Israel and great Britain. He is a leading orthopedic specialist in Joint reconstructive Surgery and Othopedic trauma and is particularly active in the management of soft tissue lesions of hips, knees and shoulders Complications and Musculoskeletal Infection.
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology along with a premier team of physicians and residents provides an extensive range of orthopedic services performing all aspects of elective surgery in orthopedics and emergency surgery and trauma. Specializing in knee and hip reconstructive surgery, spine surgery, hand and shoulder surgery, and foot and ankle surgery as well as pediatric orthopedics of children referred from Schneider Children’s Medical Center. IDF Soldiers suffering from orthopedic related injuries are treated by this department. We are also a visiting center for knee and hip arthroplasty and trauma.
UNITS OF EXPERTISE
- Spine Unit: Headed by Dr. Amir Amitai, providing outpatient and inpatient services for all spinal problems and complications including trauma injuries, tumors, degenerative diseases and scoliosis and Adult deformity correction
- Joint Surgery Unit: Headed by Dr. Steven Velkes, offering expert treatment of all joint diseases and degenerative disorders by minimally invasive techniques such as arthroscopic surgery and total joint replacement, involving complicated revision surgery.
- Hand Surgery Unit: Headed by Dr. Sorin Daniel Iordache, providing outpatient and inpatient services for patients suffering from hand and upper limb disorders, starting from acute trauma cases to patients needing complicated revisions and reconstructive surgical procedures, and using modern operative techniques both open and arthroscopic, including microvascular treatment of peripheral nerve injuries.
- Trauma and Malformation Service: Headed by Dr. Tal Lurie, offering comprehensive treatment for all acute and complicated trauma cases and correction of malformed bones and elongating short bones using the famous Eliazarov System with its computerized modification.
- Foot and Ankle Service: Headed by Dr. Yehezkial Tityon and Dr. Alon Burg, dedicated to treating a wide array of foot and ankle problems and degenerative diseases, providing comprehensive care for all acquired foot problems, deformities and foot trauma.
- Shoulder and Elbow Service: Headed by Dr. Mark Loewnberg. Dr Loewnberg is a world renowned shoulder and elbow surgeon providing a comprehensive service for primary shoulder and elbow pathology as well as the management of complications and failed surgery of the shoulder and elbow
- Skeletal Oncology service headed by Dr. Shai Shemesh, This service provides sate of the art care of primary and secondary bone and soft tissue tumors