The Department of Neurosurgery is directed by Prof. Zvi Harry Rappaport, a graduate of the NYU neurosurgical residency program and a certified member of the American Board of Neurosurgery. An expert neurosurgeon, he specializes in CNS tumor surgery including acoustic neuromas, pituitary lesions and surgery for trigeminal neuralgia. He was the former President of the Israeli Society of Neurosurgery, Honorary Vice-President of the World Federation of Neurosurgery and is a Clinical Associate Professor at the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University. An active member in many international professional organizations and a reviewer for a number of leading neurological journals, he has published over 130 articles and book chapters.
The Department of Neurosurgery is dedicated to the highest standards in neurosurgery with an expert team which offers patient-oriented, high technology care for all neurological conditions, presenting innovative comprehensive evaluation, diagnosis and surgical treatments for brain, nerve and spinal cord diseases and injuries, with special expertise in the treatment of pituitary tumors and acoustic neuromas. Working together with the Neurovascular Unit they also provide complete treatment for neurovascular diseases such as aneurysms, AVM’S and cavernomas. The department's hospitalization facility has 30 beds, 6 of which are part of the Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit where patients are monitored around the clock. In addition there are 8 beds at Schneider Children’s Medical Center dedicated to neurosurgery where the children are treated by the neurosurgical team at Rabin Medical Center. The department conducts approximately 800 surgical procedures per year, 250 of which are on children.
UNITS OF EXPERTISE
- Spinal Neurosurgery: Headed by Dr. Steven Jackson
- Endoscopic Surgery: Headed by Dr. Shlomo Davidovich
- Neurosurgical Intensive Care: Headed by Dr. Marco Rubin
- Pediatric Neurosurgery: Headed by Dr. Shalom Michovitz
- Base of Skull and Vascular Neurosurgery: Headed by Dr. Janos Vajda
- Tumor Surgery: Headed by Dr. Uzi Ben-David
- Functional Neurosurgery/Radio Surgery: Headed by Dr. Alon Mogilner
- Neuroendovascular Surgery: Headed by Dr. Eliyahu Perlov